I’ve been looking forward to this one for quite some time, but amongst my excitement, has also been a little bit of worry. You tend to find with these kinds of films, when there is a lot of hype, there is always a chance you will be disappointed. There is also the possibility that there will be some exaggeration of how good the film really is – because of what it is. I have to admit, I fell into that a bit when Man of Steel came out, letting on that I thought it was much better than it really was – cos it was a Superman film AND Nolan was involved.
But back to Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. I’m a huge fan of the Marvel Movie Universe, and I am very pleased to say this certainly lived up the hype. (Yes, I really mean it!). I was reassured immediately, as the opening credit sequence is a beauty to behold itself. I don’t want to go too deep into the movie, because I really would recommend to just go see it, and enjoy yourself. So instead I’ll just pull out a few things as to why I enjoyed it so much. If anyone actually reads this, and does want to talk more detail about the film, just leave me a comment or shoot me a tweet – @benjoy93
- This film is really funny. Marvel seems to have progressively been bringing more and more humour into their films (with the odd exception), and I seem to remember when the original Guardians film came out, it was their funniest to date. Again this one didn’t disappoint and was very funny throughout the film.
- At over 2 hours the film doesn’t seem to lose pace. Sometimes you can watch a film and think it would’ve been better to have been a bit shorter. Although Guardians runs at two and a quarter hours, it doesn’t seem to hit a lull. That doesn’t mean it is action packed for the full 2.25 hours, but it remains interesting for the full length.
- Which leads on nicely to the next point, whereby I think this film does the characters justice. The sequel delves a bit deeper into some of the characters and we find out a bit more about their backstories, and who they really are. I mean some of it, we already knew without it being explicitly spelt out for us but it is nice to spend some time looking at the characters. We also meet a few new characters and we are set up nicely for the Marvel Movie Universe to continue to keep rolling.
- The soundtrack is absolutely on point. I think sometimes this element of films is often (wrongly so) overlooked, but actually plays a vital role. I thought Guardians got it absolutely spot on, pulling in old classics really well to move help move the story along, bring in some humour and also hit us in the feels. The original Guardians film had a great soundtrack, and Guardians 2 followed up with one just as good.
- Post credits. By now everyone knows you’re in for a little bit more once the credits start to roll in a Marvel film (with the exception of Logan, which omitted this for all the right reasons). We are treated to a whopping 5 – yes, you read that right – FIVE post credit scenes. Not all are that important, a couple are just humorous, but we get a glimpse of where Marvel could be heading for a couple of the future films. Make sure to stick around right until the very end of the credits to make sure you don’t miss anything.
Overall, I really enjoyed this film, and Marvel can take yet another one to the bank. You are pretty much assured to be in for a great movie experience when Marvel are involved. Definitely, go check this one out.